At the Zot Insurance Agency, serving Davie, FL, we have heard just about every question imaginable about insurance. One of the most frequent is if plumbing problems are covered by their homeowner’s policy. The answer really isn’t a straight-forward yes or no so we’ll go over various issues and how they generally are seen by adjusters.
Plumbing Issues Generally Covered
- Pipes that burst suddenly without warning
- Burst plumbing systems or appliances
- Pipes that are frozen, but the home is heated and maintained
Plumbing Issues Sometimes Covered
- Improperly installed plumbing that malfunctions
- Plumbing leaks or mold that is in the walls or floors
- Old pipes or corroded pipes that burst
Plumbing Issues Hardly Ever Covered
- Galvanized steel or polybutylene pipes that are outdated and obsolete
- Sewer line backup or sump pump backup
- Pipes that freeze in a home that isn’t heated or maintained
- Preventable mold growth or pipe leaks
A rule of thumb is that things that happen suddenly are usually covered more than things that have taken time to malfunction.
Keep in mind also that if you have $6000 in damages but a $1000 deductible, you’ll have $5000 to use to help whereas a $1200 plumbing bill on a $1000 deductible may not be worth the possible increase in your premiums. Talk with an insurance professional to make sure that you are not only properly covered, but have the right deductibles for your situation.
If you’re in the Davie, FL area, we at the Zot Insurance Agency are here to help answer your questions and make sure that your policies are exactly what you need for your unique situation. Call or come by the office to speak with us.